Canning Town teens get taste of West End
- Credit: Archant
170 youngsters from Rokeby School got a taste of culture when they were treated to a West End show.
The students watched one of London’s most successful shows, War Horse, on two evenings recently. They were given tickets to the Michael Morpurgo play by the Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales as part of his Every Child A Theatre Goer initiative.
The scheme was launched last year with the aim of providing unique learning experiences for the borough’s children.
Kalam Miah, a Year 11 student, said: “The special effects were amazing, I thought the horses were actually going to touch us in the front row”.
Arturas Baguciankas, a student in Year 9, said: “I thought the play was very funny in parts but also sad. The special effects really made the horses come to life.”
You may also want to watch:
Grant Leppard, assistant head at the Canning Town school, said: “First there was every child a musician, as a result of which we have more students opting for GCSE music than ever before. Then came every child a sports star, where Year 7 students have the opportunity to try different sports to those that are not normally offered in the PE curriculum. Now we have every child a theatre goer and the opportunity to see War Horse. The young people of Newham have a lot to thank Sir Robin Wales for.”
Gerard Canning, Head of Drama at the school, said; “We are so grateful for this wonderful opportunity to take our students to a live West End performance. It couldn’t have been a better choice for the boys and they were amazed at the performance.”
- 1 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 2 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 9 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 10 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
In December the whole of Year 7 will have the opportunity to see ‘Beauty and the Beast’ at the Theatre Royal Stratford East as a part of the scheme.