Canning Town teens get taste of West End
- Credit: Archant
170 youngsters from Rokeby School got a taste of culture when they were treated to a West End show.
The students watched one of London’s most successful shows, War Horse, on two evenings recently. They were given tickets to the Michael Morpurgo play by the Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales as part of his Every Child A Theatre Goer initiative.
The scheme was launched last year with the aim of providing unique learning experiences for the borough’s children.
Kalam Miah, a Year 11 student, said: “The special effects were amazing, I thought the horses were actually going to touch us in the front row”.
Arturas Baguciankas, a student in Year 9, said: “I thought the play was very funny in parts but also sad. The special effects really made the horses come to life.”
You may also want to watch:
Grant Leppard, assistant head at the Canning Town school, said: “First there was every child a musician, as a result of which we have more students opting for GCSE music than ever before. Then came every child a sports star, where Year 7 students have the opportunity to try different sports to those that are not normally offered in the PE curriculum. Now we have every child a theatre goer and the opportunity to see War Horse. The young people of Newham have a lot to thank Sir Robin Wales for.”
Gerard Canning, Head of Drama at the school, said; “We are so grateful for this wonderful opportunity to take our students to a live West End performance. It couldn’t have been a better choice for the boys and they were amazed at the performance.”
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
In December the whole of Year 7 will have the opportunity to see ‘Beauty and the Beast’ at the Theatre Royal Stratford East as a part of the scheme.