Canning Town students to represent Newham in whitewater rafting event
Students from Eastlea Community School will be white water rafting on the same rapids that challenged the world’s best athletes during London 2012.
Pupils from the school will represent Newham in the fourth annual Schools Festival at Lee Valley White Water Centre on July 9, where Team GB won gold and silver in the Olympic Canoe Slalom event two years ago.
They will be rafting alongside hundreds of other young people representing every London borough as well as Essex and Hertfordshire in the Schools Festival.
Shaun Dawson, Lee Valley Regional Park Authority Chief Executive, said: “We’re very pleased to announce that Lee Valley White Water Centre will host this annual Schools Festival, giving hundreds of students the chance to try white water rafting at this world class venue.
“We’re expecting this festival to be just as successful as the previous events, not least because the participants will have been inspired by the athletes who competed at the Games.”
The Schools Festival involves a range of partners including Canoe England, Tottenham Hotspur Foundation and the Watt bike challenge who will each be running activities during the event.
Lee Valley White Water Centre is in daily use with a number of successful legacy projects ongoing and the water is shared by participants of all levels from complete beginners to elite athletes.
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 9 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 10 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
The venue recently launched a new resident club, Lee Valley Paddlesports Club, which welcomes all paddlers over the age of nine, from absolute beginners to Olympic champions across the whole range of paddle sports.
For more information, visit: leevalleypaddlesportsclub.org or email: email@example.com