Canning Town students are Commonwealth flag-bearers at Westminster Abbey
- Credit: Archant
Students had the honour of being flag bearers at the Commonwealth Day of Observance ceremony at Westminster Abbey on Monday.
Six pupils from Years Nine and 10 at Eastlea Community School in Canning Town carried flags of Commonwealth countries in a procession in front of 2,000 people.
Jade Mark-Ogunyadi, a student at Eastlea, said: “I got to carry the Nigerian flag and it made the day very special to me because my mum was in the audience and she was so proud of me.”
The students had spent the day previously preparing for the Enterprise Challenge next Thursday, run by the Prince of Wales’ mentoring initiative Mosaic, to recognise economic innovation throughout the diverse nations of the Commonwealth.
Alexandra Dingreville, a teacher at Eastlea, said: “It was an amazing learning experience on many different levels.”
You may also want to watch:
After the ceremony at the Abbey, the students joined guests to listen to an entreprenurial speech from Sir Richard Branson.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 10 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order