Canning Town students are Commonwealth flag-bearers at Westminster Abbey
- Credit: Archant
Students had the honour of being flag bearers at the Commonwealth Day of Observance ceremony at Westminster Abbey on Monday.
Six pupils from Years Nine and 10 at Eastlea Community School in Canning Town carried flags of Commonwealth countries in a procession in front of 2,000 people.
Jade Mark-Ogunyadi, a student at Eastlea, said: “I got to carry the Nigerian flag and it made the day very special to me because my mum was in the audience and she was so proud of me.”
The students had spent the day previously preparing for the Enterprise Challenge next Thursday, run by the Prince of Wales’ mentoring initiative Mosaic, to recognise economic innovation throughout the diverse nations of the Commonwealth.
Alexandra Dingreville, a teacher at Eastlea, said: “It was an amazing learning experience on many different levels.”
You may also want to watch:
After the ceremony at the Abbey, the students joined guests to listen to an entreprenurial speech from Sir Richard Branson.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station