Canning Town school transforms into a bookshop for a day
- Credit: Archant
Uniforms and regular timetables were suspended in favour of a celebration of books, creative writing and authors as a school was transformed into a bookshop.
St. Luke’s C of E Primary School in Canning Town helped pupils get thir creative juices flowing with the help of drama workshops and visiting authors. Children and staff dressed up as story book characters.
The school was transformed into a book shop for the day with the help of The Village Book Shop in Woodford. Many children also bought books during the day.
Theresa Aanonson, head teacher said: “There was a real buzz around the school and it was a joy to see so many books being taken home and also hearing the pupils discussing, books, writing and their favourite authors.”
Year 1 and 2 pupils enjoyed a story telling workshop while older children learnt creative writing skills from published authors. Harry Oulton, author of A Pig Called Heather, and S F Said, who wrote The Jarvak Paw.
You may also want to watch:
Harry Oulton said: “The children were really enthusiastic and I was impressed that they had a very positive approach to writing. They all wanted to have a go. I go into lots of schools and I was impressed at their “can do” approach to the task I set them.”
Year 3 student Chloe Nwachuku said: “Harry was very funny and he helped us learn that we can all write books and poems. He told us it didn’t matter how old we are we can all become authors.”
- 1 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 2 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 6 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
DaeJean–Paul Samuels, a Year 6 pupil, said: “I want to be a writer myself and I am really inspired now by S F Said because he taught us that even if you don’t get it right the first time you must try and try again until you get it right.”