Canning Town’s Peacock Gym Academy nominated for education award
A Canning Town college has been shortlisted for a national award after only four years in existence.
The Peacock Gym Academy, which aims to divert disadvantaged youngsters from a life of crime, is up for a Times Educational Supplement (TES) National Teaching Award 2012.
It has been nominated in the outstanding sporting initiative or partnership category
Deputy headteacher Glyn Barlow said he was looking forward to the ceremony, which will take place at the London Hilton Hotel in Park Lane on July 6.
He said: “We are very pleased just to have made the shortlist and we just hope we can go one step further and win it.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s really a testament to the hard work of staff and students and the support of the local authority.”
The academy provides vocational courses such as hair and beauty, cycle mechanics and film technology.
- 1 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 2 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 3 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
When the family-run Peacock Gym’s academy programme was set up in 2008, it had just six students. It now works with up to 150 young people.
Mr Barlow said its courses were complemented by skills in numeracy, literacy, and ICT with the ultimate aim of reducing Newham’s high unemployment figures.
He added: “It says a lot about the progress of our pupils that we have got this far.
“It will just be great to be there as it’s a very prestigious award.”