Canning Town’s Peacock Gym Academy nominated for education award
A Canning Town college has been shortlisted for a national award after only four years in existence.
The Peacock Gym Academy, which aims to divert disadvantaged youngsters from a life of crime, is up for a Times Educational Supplement (TES) National Teaching Award 2012.
It has been nominated in the outstanding sporting initiative or partnership category
Deputy headteacher Glyn Barlow said he was looking forward to the ceremony, which will take place at the London Hilton Hotel in Park Lane on July 6.
He said: “We are very pleased just to have made the shortlist and we just hope we can go one step further and win it.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s really a testament to the hard work of staff and students and the support of the local authority.”
The academy provides vocational courses such as hair and beauty, cycle mechanics and film technology.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
When the family-run Peacock Gym’s academy programme was set up in 2008, it had just six students. It now works with up to 150 young people.
Mr Barlow said its courses were complemented by skills in numeracy, literacy, and ICT with the ultimate aim of reducing Newham’s high unemployment figures.
He added: “It says a lot about the progress of our pupils that we have got this far.
“It will just be great to be there as it’s a very prestigious award.”