Canning Town pupils quiz their local MP at Jobs Fair
- Credit: Archant
Pupils of a Student Council gave their local MP a good grilling last week as part of an annual careers day.
Star Primary, on Star Lane, Canning Town, hold a Jobs Fair every year to get their children thinking about what they would like to be when they grow up.
Students representing every year group in the school gathered on Thursday to ask Lyn Brown, MP for West Ham, what her job is like, what she does on a typical day, and her views on children’s literacy.
Ms Brown spoke about the importance of libraries, the legacy of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and her role of a Whip for the Labour Party.
The MP was one of a number of professionals invited along to inspire the pupils including an electrician and a Thames Tunnel worker.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Brown said: “What a fantastic event, and what wonderful young people. It is a pleasure to be here, and my congratulations go to all the students, staff, and visitors for making it such a success.
“It is so important to help children from an early age find out about all the different things they could do when they grow up.
- 1 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 2 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 3 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 4 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 5 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 8 Town hall chief says Newham 'doing everything it can' to ensure polling is 'safe and fair'
- 9 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 10 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
“We need to inspire children by giving them the chance to ask questions and learn about different jobs by talking to people who do them. This can’t start early enough.
“The students of Star Primary were so insightful. Even Paxo would have been proud of their questions, which really made me think.”