Canning Town pupils give speech to stars up The Shard
- Credit: Archant
Two pupils gave a speech to business leaders and popstar Gary Barlow up the tallest building in the UK.
Ranjit Singh and Joshua Olusola, both in Year 10 at Rokeby School in Barking Road, Canning Town, gave an inspirational after dinner talk at a gala evening to invited guests on the 28th floor of The Shard in central London.
The young men, accommpanied by Deputy Head Mrs Bower and Assistant Head Mr McRoberts, spoke about their school’s partnership with The Outward Bound Trust which has funded expeditions for over 100 students with extra help from bank HSBC.
After enjoying the dizzying heights of attraction ‘The View from the Shard’, they enjoyed a performance from Take That star and X Factor judge Gary Barlow.
Businesswoman Michelle Mone, founder of lingerie company Ultimo, said she was so impressed with the boys’ speech that she wanted to take them out to lunch as a reward for their hard work.
You may also want to watch:
Grant Leppard, Assitant Head at Rokeby, said: “Students from Rokeby and Sarah Bonnell in Years Eight, Nine, and 10 have been funded over the past three years by HSBC and all have returned from their expeditions with determination and a new-found confidence to face and conquer new challenges with respect and passion.”
Joshua and Ranjit are two of seven Rokeby boys who have won scholarships from the Outward Bound Trust to pay for a three-week residential trip during the summer holidays.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 4 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton finally gets his man in Dan Kemp
- 9 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 10 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman