Canning Town bookworms to benefit from large donation of books
- Credit: Archant
Young bookworms at a Newham school can enjoy a bigger selection of reading material after they received a large donation of books from a building firm.
A group of people called reading volunteers from Taylor Woodrow visited St Luke’s Primary school to present a gift of reading and library books to enhance class libraries.
The company had organised a ‘Book Lunch’ where every guest was encouraged to bring books for the school library. As a result every class library has received a large number of reading and information books.
Helen Tarbuck, the school’s English Leader, said: “We always need more books in school and the very generous donation from Taylor Woodrow has made a great difference to the book choices our children can make now.’
Alick Whitfield from Taylor Woodrow said: “We have worked as Reading Volunteers in the school for some time now and it is a pleasure to be part of the progress made by pupils. Organising the Book Lunch was another way in which we can support the work of the school and contribute to the local community.”
You may also want to watch:
Year 6 student Precious Maize, said: “We’ve got a lot of new books in our class including some written by my favourite authors. I love reading and I’ve all the new books have made a real difference to me as I’m reading books by new authors now.”
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 3 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 10 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme