Canning Town bookworms to benefit from large donation of books
- Credit: Archant
Young bookworms at a Newham school can enjoy a bigger selection of reading material after they received a large donation of books from a building firm.
A group of people called reading volunteers from Taylor Woodrow visited St Luke’s Primary school to present a gift of reading and library books to enhance class libraries.
The company had organised a ‘Book Lunch’ where every guest was encouraged to bring books for the school library. As a result every class library has received a large number of reading and information books.
Helen Tarbuck, the school’s English Leader, said: “We always need more books in school and the very generous donation from Taylor Woodrow has made a great difference to the book choices our children can make now.’
Alick Whitfield from Taylor Woodrow said: “We have worked as Reading Volunteers in the school for some time now and it is a pleasure to be part of the progress made by pupils. Organising the Book Lunch was another way in which we can support the work of the school and contribute to the local community.”
You may also want to watch:
Year 6 student Precious Maize, said: “We’ve got a lot of new books in our class including some written by my favourite authors. I love reading and I’ve all the new books have made a real difference to me as I’m reading books by new authors now.”
- 1 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 2 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 3 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 4 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 5 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 6 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 7 Town hall chief says Newham 'doing everything it can' to ensure polling is 'safe and fair'
- 8 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 9 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 10 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip