Businesswomen find growth thanks to Newham College scheme
Successful business owners went back to the place where it all started for them during a recent event at Newham College’s Women’s Business Centre.
The centre’s EU funded project, Innovate Her, supported 155 female entrepreneurs in east London through workshops, one-to-one business counselling, advice and networking.
The East Ham centre was opened in May 2008 to help women develop a business, or gain education, training or employment.
Among the speakers was Renny Adejuwon, director of childcare service, Eden Mobile Creche. She received help from the centre last year.
She said: “I had childcare qualifications and was motivated to set up a creche.
You may also want to watch:
“But after advice from the Innovate Her team, I realised that I didn’t know as much as I thought.
“I couldn’t imagine talking to large organisations to provide them with a service, but now Eden Mobile will be providing a creche for the South Bank centre.”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 6 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
Project business counsellor Janice Beckles, added: “Innovate Her was an energy boost injected into female-owned businesses that were ready to grow.
“Within our network are women who have brought new products into the market and women who are now using networking and social media to make new connections and win new business.”