Budding authors awarded certificates at Stratford’s Discover centre
- Credit: Archant
Sir Robin Wales, Mayor of Newham awarded certificates and prizes to budding authors and illustrators from across the borough at Discover Children’s Story Centre.
The writing and drawing competition for children aged 6-11, involved the youngsters creating stories and drawings inspired by Discover’s current interactive exhibition for families, Secret Agents – Spy Academy. They were given the first paragraph of a spy story written by Hollywood screen writer and author Andy Briggs (Tarzan) as a starting point for their own stories.
The entries were then judged by Andy Briggs, Charlene LcLean, councillor for Stratford and New Town, and Eleanor Butler from Discover. The inventive and brilliant illustrations and stories won prizes including free family passes to Discover, signed books from well- known authors and illustrators and goodie bags. In the category for 4-6-year-olds, the winners were Bridgit Urumbath (Gold), Jannah Chowdry (Silver) and Hafsa Khatsun (Bronze). For 7-11-year-olds the winners were Fazley Nafees Nirob (Gold), Maya Ahmed-Reed (Silver) and Aziza Khanom Miah (Bronze).
The competition is in conjunction with free entry for Newham workers and residents to Discover from July 28 to August 13 which has been made possible by the Mayor of Newham and Newham Council. For the third year in a row, during the summer holidays Newham residents have been able to visit the popular storytelling children’s museum on Stratford High Street for free as part of the Newham Reading Guarantee.
It was introduced in 2011 by the Mayor to help primary school children from five to seven-years-old improve their reading. The scheme is part of Newham’s Every Child programme, which complements traditional learning to ensure children and young people have a good mix of academic and social education. Discover supports the programme by providing inspirational learning and literacy opportunities for Newham children, teachers and parents.
You may also want to watch:
Sir Robin Wales said: “The Discover Children’s Story Centre supports our Newham Reading Guarantee, the biggest reading programme of its kind in the country. Reading is the gateway to learning and enjoyment and is vital in ensuring our children have the best chance possible of fulfilling their potential. We must all work to support children in their learning and we hope families will take up this excellent free offer.”
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 10 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl