Bobby Moore Academy to welcome students from across Olympic boroughs
- Credit: Bobby Moore Academy
Named after the man who is arguably east London’s most famous sporting son, the Bobby Moore Academy will welcome its first students next year – and headteacher Stuart Burns is already excited.
“We want this to be somewhere where children have a good education, but can also thrive in areas such as music and sport,” he said.
“We wanted to call the school after someone our children can aspire to, and who fits the bill better than the last Englishman to lift the World Cup?”
Stuart revealed that the school is in negotiation to use some of the facilities that already exist in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
He said: “We’ve got so much on our doorstep, we could take the children somewhere every week.”
You may also want to watch:
The school is part of the David Ross Education Trust, and Stuart has been involved in the school’s development since joining up.
“They wanted to get a headteacher in place and I joined about two years ago,” he said. “We’ve been involved in the design of the whole school – even where the light switches go.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 3 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
The all-through school will initially welcome 120 Year 7 students, with 60 Reception pupils joining a year later.
Stuart is keen to welcome students from across all the Olympic boroughs.
He said: “The Department for Education have given us a Newham school code, as our biggest site is in the E20 postcode, but we’re welcoming children from Hackney and Tower Hamlets as well.
“In fact, we hope parents will want to travel a little bit further to attend the school.”
Visit bobbymooreacademy.co.uk for more information on the school and open events.