Bobby Moore Academy to welcome students from across Olympic boroughs
- Credit: Bobby Moore Academy
Named after the man who is arguably east London’s most famous sporting son, the Bobby Moore Academy will welcome its first students next year – and headteacher Stuart Burns is already excited.
“We want this to be somewhere where children have a good education, but can also thrive in areas such as music and sport,” he said.
“We wanted to call the school after someone our children can aspire to, and who fits the bill better than the last Englishman to lift the World Cup?”
Stuart revealed that the school is in negotiation to use some of the facilities that already exist in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
He said: “We’ve got so much on our doorstep, we could take the children somewhere every week.”
You may also want to watch:
The school is part of the David Ross Education Trust, and Stuart has been involved in the school’s development since joining up.
“They wanted to get a headteacher in place and I joined about two years ago,” he said. “We’ve been involved in the design of the whole school – even where the light switches go.”
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 10 Stratford dance and music hub gets £700k boost
The all-through school will initially welcome 120 Year 7 students, with 60 Reception pupils joining a year later.
Stuart is keen to welcome students from across all the Olympic boroughs.
He said: “The Department for Education have given us a Newham school code, as our biggest site is in the E20 postcode, but we’re welcoming children from Hackney and Tower Hamlets as well.
“In fact, we hope parents will want to travel a little bit further to attend the school.”
Visit bobbymooreacademy.co.uk for more information on the school and open events.