Bobby Moore Academy to welcome students from across Olympic boroughs
- Credit: Bobby Moore Academy
Named after the man who is arguably east London’s most famous sporting son, the Bobby Moore Academy will welcome its first students next year – and headteacher Stuart Burns is already excited.
“We want this to be somewhere where children have a good education, but can also thrive in areas such as music and sport,” he said.
“We wanted to call the school after someone our children can aspire to, and who fits the bill better than the last Englishman to lift the World Cup?”
Stuart revealed that the school is in negotiation to use some of the facilities that already exist in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
He said: “We’ve got so much on our doorstep, we could take the children somewhere every week.”
You may also want to watch:
The school is part of the David Ross Education Trust, and Stuart has been involved in the school’s development since joining up.
“They wanted to get a headteacher in place and I joined about two years ago,” he said. “We’ve been involved in the design of the whole school – even where the light switches go.”
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 5 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 6 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 7 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
The all-through school will initially welcome 120 Year 7 students, with 60 Reception pupils joining a year later.
Stuart is keen to welcome students from across all the Olympic boroughs.
He said: “The Department for Education have given us a Newham school code, as our biggest site is in the E20 postcode, but we’re welcoming children from Hackney and Tower Hamlets as well.
“In fact, we hope parents will want to travel a little bit further to attend the school.”
Visit bobbymooreacademy.co.uk for more information on the school and open events.