Big Apple beckons for Manor Park footballer
An ex-NewVIc sixth-form college student is one step closer to making his dream of becoming a professional football player a reality.
Jorge Sambu, from Manor Park, has secured a $25,000 bursary to support his studies and training in New York, USA.
The 19-year-old caught the eyes of organisers of an event run by First Point USA at David Beckham’s Academy in Greenwich.
They sent films of him playing to universities across America, and he will study at Bryant Stratton College later this month.
Before leaving, Jorge popped into NewVIc to thank the college’s Sports Academy staff.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I’m really excited to be getting closer to my goal of becoming a professional football player.
“I’ve not been to America before so I’m a bit nervous but mainly just looking forward to a new challenge.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
“The Sports Academy has been so supportive with my application to university even though I left the college a year ago.”
Jorge was also awarded �2,000 by the Newham Talent Trust.
Beth Harris, Sports Academy manager, added: “Jorge’s calm and professional attitude both on and off the pitch was invaluable to the NewVIc squad.
“We wish him all the best for his future and are very proud of him.”