Beckton primary school wins award for teaching philosophy
A primary school has become the first in the country to win an international award for teaching philosophy.
Gallions Primary School, on the Winsor Park housing estate in Beckton, has won the Philosophy for Children Schools Gold Award.
The school, also ranked as the seventh most improved school in the country, working with a diverse pupil population.
Headmaster Paul Jackson said: “It’s easy to lose sight of all the excellent work that goes on at Gallions day in, day out and it is fantastic to have this externally recognised by becoming the first ever school to be awarded the SAPERE gold award for our work in Philosophy for Children.
“The staff, children, parents and other supporters of Gallions work incredibly hard to achieve all that we do.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m extremely proud of all that we have achieved at Gallions but also extremely excited about what the future holds.
“There is tremendous potential here and I am looking forward to building on the success of this award to achieve even more wonderful things in the future.”
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 3 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 8 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 9 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 10 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0