Beckton primary school wins award for teaching philosophy
A primary school has become the first in the country to win an international award for teaching philosophy.
Gallions Primary School, on the Winsor Park housing estate in Beckton, has won the Philosophy for Children Schools Gold Award.
The school, also ranked as the seventh most improved school in the country, working with a diverse pupil population.
Headmaster Paul Jackson said: “It’s easy to lose sight of all the excellent work that goes on at Gallions day in, day out and it is fantastic to have this externally recognised by becoming the first ever school to be awarded the SAPERE gold award for our work in Philosophy for Children.
“The staff, children, parents and other supporters of Gallions work incredibly hard to achieve all that we do.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m extremely proud of all that we have achieved at Gallions but also extremely excited about what the future holds.
“There is tremendous potential here and I am looking forward to building on the success of this award to achieve even more wonderful things in the future.”
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross