Beckton primary school wins award for teaching philosophy
A primary school has become the first in the country to win an international award for teaching philosophy.
Gallions Primary School, on the Winsor Park housing estate in Beckton, has won the Philosophy for Children Schools Gold Award.
The school, also ranked as the seventh most improved school in the country, working with a diverse pupil population.
Headmaster Paul Jackson said: “It’s easy to lose sight of all the excellent work that goes on at Gallions day in, day out and it is fantastic to have this externally recognised by becoming the first ever school to be awarded the SAPERE gold award for our work in Philosophy for Children.
“The staff, children, parents and other supporters of Gallions work incredibly hard to achieve all that we do.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m extremely proud of all that we have achieved at Gallions but also extremely excited about what the future holds.
“There is tremendous potential here and I am looking forward to building on the success of this award to achieve even more wonderful things in the future.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week