Beckton Brownies ‘time travel’ at campsite fun day for 100th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Girls from Newham attended a fun day at Chigwell Row Campsite to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Brownies.
More than 40 girls from the Beckton and West Ham branches of the Brownies joined 600 others from across London last Saturday for the special event in north east London.
The highlight of the event was a Star Quest “time travel” activity that transported the girls back to the time when the Brownies started a century ago.
The fun day, part of the Big Brownie Birthday Celebrations, which will culminate in a disco next month, featured bouncy castles, abseiling, climbing, trampolines, craft, outdoor game and water zorbing.
Brown Owl Kathy Thomas, who has run Beckton Brownies for 21 years, said: “The Start Quest took the girls back to the older times then back to the future.
You may also want to watch:
“There were three ‘time zones’ and each zone had different activities. The girls could spent an hour and a half in each session. They loved it.
“They usually do Brownie day every year over at the camp site. This one, because of the Big Brownie Birthday, had more activities.
- 1 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 2 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 3 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
“The girls had a fantastic time. They all went home tired and home with their special badge.”
She added: “Thanks to all the leaders who attended and to all the staff who organised a fun filled day for the girls.”
The Brownies will be taking a trip on the Emirates Line next week to visit an indoor play area in North Woolwich as the celebrations continue.
The Beckton Brownies are also celebrating their 25th anniversary this month.
For more information visit girlguiding.org.uk/brownies