Beckton Brownies ‘time travel’ at campsite fun day for 100th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Girls from Newham attended a fun day at Chigwell Row Campsite to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Brownies.
More than 40 girls from the Beckton and West Ham branches of the Brownies joined 600 others from across London last Saturday for the special event in north east London.
The highlight of the event was a Star Quest “time travel” activity that transported the girls back to the time when the Brownies started a century ago.
The fun day, part of the Big Brownie Birthday Celebrations, which will culminate in a disco next month, featured bouncy castles, abseiling, climbing, trampolines, craft, outdoor game and water zorbing.
Brown Owl Kathy Thomas, who has run Beckton Brownies for 21 years, said: “The Start Quest took the girls back to the older times then back to the future.
You may also want to watch:
“There were three ‘time zones’ and each zone had different activities. The girls could spent an hour and a half in each session. They loved it.
“They usually do Brownie day every year over at the camp site. This one, because of the Big Brownie Birthday, had more activities.
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Man fighting for life after being 'attacked and hit by car' in Canning Town
“The girls had a fantastic time. They all went home tired and home with their special badge.”
She added: “Thanks to all the leaders who attended and to all the staff who organised a fun filled day for the girls.”
The Brownies will be taking a trip on the Emirates Line next week to visit an indoor play area in North Woolwich as the celebrations continue.
The Beckton Brownies are also celebrating their 25th anniversary this month.
For more information visit girlguiding.org.uk/brownies