Beckton Brownies ‘time travel’ at campsite fun day for 100th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Girls from Newham attended a fun day at Chigwell Row Campsite to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Brownies.
More than 40 girls from the Beckton and West Ham branches of the Brownies joined 600 others from across London last Saturday for the special event in north east London.
The highlight of the event was a Star Quest “time travel” activity that transported the girls back to the time when the Brownies started a century ago.
The fun day, part of the Big Brownie Birthday Celebrations, which will culminate in a disco next month, featured bouncy castles, abseiling, climbing, trampolines, craft, outdoor game and water zorbing.
Brown Owl Kathy Thomas, who has run Beckton Brownies for 21 years, said: “The Start Quest took the girls back to the older times then back to the future.
You may also want to watch:
“There were three ‘time zones’ and each zone had different activities. The girls could spent an hour and a half in each session. They loved it.
“They usually do Brownie day every year over at the camp site. This one, because of the Big Brownie Birthday, had more activities.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 5 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 8 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 9 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season
- 10 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
“The girls had a fantastic time. They all went home tired and home with their special badge.”
She added: “Thanks to all the leaders who attended and to all the staff who organised a fun filled day for the girls.”
The Brownies will be taking a trip on the Emirates Line next week to visit an indoor play area in North Woolwich as the celebrations continue.
The Beckton Brownies are also celebrating their 25th anniversary this month.
For more information visit girlguiding.org.uk/brownies