Avenue Primary staff strike over pay
- Credit: Archant
Thirty-five teachers from Avenue Primary went on strike yesterday in protest of the school’s new pay policy.
Governors at the Newham school introduced a sixteen point pay scale towards the end of last year, making it harder for teachers to prove that they should get an annual pay rise.
Education secretary Michael Gove changed legislation to allow schools to set their own pay policies in September last year, a move which has been criticised by teaching unions who say it makes staff jump through hoops.
Anne Mallach, regional officer for NUT, said teachers at Avenue Primary didn’t want to strike but felt forced to in order to get their point across.
“We’d rather not go on strike but teachers at this particular school will be paid less than teachers at other schools,” she said.
Avenue Primary remained opened during strike action but some school classes were told not to come in.
A negotiation meeting between teachers and the governors in January failed to find a mutually acceptable resolution.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
Anne said: “We had a couple of alternative strategies on the table but the governing body wouldn’t agree anything.”
Two further days of strike action is planned for next month.
Do you support the strike by Avenue Primary School teachers? Leave a comment below, tweet @NewhamRecorder or email email@example.com