Avenue Primary staff strike over pay
- Credit: Archant
Thirty-five teachers from Avenue Primary went on strike yesterday in protest of the school’s new pay policy.
Governors at the Newham school introduced a sixteen point pay scale towards the end of last year, making it harder for teachers to prove that they should get an annual pay rise.
Education secretary Michael Gove changed legislation to allow schools to set their own pay policies in September last year, a move which has been criticised by teaching unions who say it makes staff jump through hoops.
Anne Mallach, regional officer for NUT, said teachers at Avenue Primary didn’t want to strike but felt forced to in order to get their point across.
“We’d rather not go on strike but teachers at this particular school will be paid less than teachers at other schools,” she said.
Avenue Primary remained opened during strike action but some school classes were told not to come in.
A negotiation meeting between teachers and the governors in January failed to find a mutually acceptable resolution.
- 1 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 2 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
Anne said: “We had a couple of alternative strategies on the table but the governing body wouldn’t agree anything.”
Two further days of strike action is planned for next month.
Do you support the strike by Avenue Primary School teachers? Leave a comment below, tweet @NewhamRecorder or email firstname.lastname@example.org