Avenue Primary staff strike over pay
- Credit: Archant
Thirty-five teachers from Avenue Primary went on strike yesterday in protest of the school’s new pay policy.
Governors at the Newham school introduced a sixteen point pay scale towards the end of last year, making it harder for teachers to prove that they should get an annual pay rise.
Education secretary Michael Gove changed legislation to allow schools to set their own pay policies in September last year, a move which has been criticised by teaching unions who say it makes staff jump through hoops.
Anne Mallach, regional officer for NUT, said teachers at Avenue Primary didn’t want to strike but felt forced to in order to get their point across.
“We’d rather not go on strike but teachers at this particular school will be paid less than teachers at other schools,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Avenue Primary remained opened during strike action but some school classes were told not to come in.
A negotiation meeting between teachers and the governors in January failed to find a mutually acceptable resolution.
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
Anne said: “We had a couple of alternative strategies on the table but the governing body wouldn’t agree anything.”
Two further days of strike action is planned for next month.
Do you support the strike by Avenue Primary School teachers? Leave a comment below, tweet @NewhamRecorder or email email@example.com