Author John McNally inspires Canning Town pupils
- Credit: Archant
Pupils received an English lesson with a difference when author John McNally paid a visit to Rokeby School.
He met 18 students who are participating in the Premier League Reading Stars scheme to help boost their literacy skills.
The boys at the Barking Road school heard how reading helped John in his career as a screenwriter before creating a novel for his children.
He shared his love of books and discussed his new novel, Infinity Drake: The Sons of Scarlatti, with the group of Year 7 students.
Each of the pupils also received a signed copy of the book.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is run by the National Literacy Trust and is designed to provide additional reading support to those who struggle using football as a motivational tool.
- 1 Letter: Targeted response in London to Indian Covid variant
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 4 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 5 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 8 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 9 West Ham boss Moyes not giving up on European dream despite Brighton draw
- 10 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans