Author John McNally inspires Canning Town pupils
- Credit: Archant
Pupils received an English lesson with a difference when author John McNally paid a visit to Rokeby School.
He met 18 students who are participating in the Premier League Reading Stars scheme to help boost their literacy skills.
The boys at the Barking Road school heard how reading helped John in his career as a screenwriter before creating a novel for his children.
He shared his love of books and discussed his new novel, Infinity Drake: The Sons of Scarlatti, with the group of Year 7 students.
Each of the pupils also received a signed copy of the book.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is run by the National Literacy Trust and is designed to provide additional reading support to those who struggle using football as a motivational tool.
- 1 Fire breaks out at Beckton superstore
- 2 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 3 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 10 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences