Author John McNally inspires Canning Town pupils
- Credit: Archant
Pupils received an English lesson with a difference when author John McNally paid a visit to Rokeby School.
He met 18 students who are participating in the Premier League Reading Stars scheme to help boost their literacy skills.
The boys at the Barking Road school heard how reading helped John in his career as a screenwriter before creating a novel for his children.
He shared his love of books and discussed his new novel, Infinity Drake: The Sons of Scarlatti, with the group of Year 7 students.
Each of the pupils also received a signed copy of the book.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is run by the National Literacy Trust and is designed to provide additional reading support to those who struggle using football as a motivational tool.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work