Art exhibition to feature work by more than 2,000 Newham students
- Credit: Archant
An art show featuring work by students from schools and colleges across the borough will be opening at the University of East London.
Called Art Matters, it is Newham’s Annual Schools’ Art Exhibition, Drawing and will include work from over 2,000 primary and secondary and children from 50 schools/FE college across Newham, including the University of the Arts London’s Saturday Drawing Programme. which is part of the Sorrell Foundation’s National Art & Design Saturday Club.
The exhibition will be held at the Docklands Campus of UEL from July 14 until July 18 from 10am until 6pm.
Ashia Oozeer, Plashet School Head of Art, said : “This year’s show is not only a celebration of the talent of pupils across Newham, but an important and timely reminder of the vital role that the arts play across the whole curriculum. UAL and Newham art teachers are keen to ensure that the subject continues to be given prominent and significant status in schools, and that all pupils have access to positive cultural and artistic experiences.
“The Newham Creative Hub, which is a University of the Arts London widening participation initiative dating back to 2008, has developed long-term relationships with schools and young people in Newham.”
You may also want to watch:
UAL’s widening participation team work with young people in state schools and further education colleges in Greater London, whose parents have not been to university. The university believes that widening participation to art and design higher education is essential to nurturing the artists and designers of the future.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation