Actress Sally Phillips stunned by mum’s abortion story during UEL visit
- Credit: UEL
Bridget Jones star Sally Phillips was stunned during a visit to the University of East London when she heard how a woman was given 15 minutes to decide whether to abort one of her unborn twins at risk of Down’s syndrome.
Claire Watts, 47, told the actress of her pregnancy scare when a scan showed one of her twins had unusually high levels of Nuchal fluid, an early sign of Down’s syndrome.
In front of a group of medical students, Mrs Watts was asked if she would like to terminate the twin at risk.
Mrs Watts turned down the abortion and Alfie and Alice, now 12, both attend mainstream schools.
Alfie uses the university’s Rix Centre, which specialises in communiciation technolgy for people with learning difficulties and where Sally visited during her tour.
You may also want to watch:
She echoed the experiences of Mrs Watts and told of the joy that her son Olly, who also has Down’s syndrome, has brought her.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 8 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery