Actress Sally Phillips stunned by mum’s abortion story during UEL visit
- Credit: UEL
Bridget Jones star Sally Phillips was stunned during a visit to the University of East London when she heard how a woman was given 15 minutes to decide whether to abort one of her unborn twins at risk of Down’s syndrome.
Claire Watts, 47, told the actress of her pregnancy scare when a scan showed one of her twins had unusually high levels of Nuchal fluid, an early sign of Down’s syndrome.
In front of a group of medical students, Mrs Watts was asked if she would like to terminate the twin at risk.
Mrs Watts turned down the abortion and Alfie and Alice, now 12, both attend mainstream schools.
Alfie uses the university’s Rix Centre, which specialises in communiciation technolgy for people with learning difficulties and where Sally visited during her tour.
You may also want to watch:
She echoed the experiences of Mrs Watts and told of the joy that her son Olly, who also has Down’s syndrome, has brought her.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory