500 not out for Newham College Workplace scheme
It was all smiles when Newham College and recruitment centre Workplace celebrated putting their 500th student through their job skills programme. Philip Badman, deputy principal of Newham College, hosted a graduation ceremony to mark the milestone for the Employment 1st scheme at East Ham Campus in High Street South.
Employment 1st graduate Anne Marie Brown said: “The course was fantastic - every session has been exciting and interesting.
“Best of all, it has given me the skills and confidence to go for jobs that I wouldn’t have dreamed of going for before.”
Many of those who have been through the programme have got jobs with big high street names in Westfield Stratford City, including Waitrose, Ibis, M&S, Jamie’s Italian, Topshop, Mothercare and TGI Fridays.
Employment 1st is an intensive, interactive two-week course for unemployed Newham residents designed to help build confidence and develop customer service skills, as well as training in health and safety, basic food hygiene and first aid.
You may also want to watch:
For more information, call the Workplace team on (020) 8430 4331.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 West Ham assistant manager Alan Irvine backs Said Benrahma to end goal drought