Education mentors at famous Peacock boxing gym in Canning Town up for £10,000 award
- Credit: Archant
Five mentors, at a famous boxing gym, helping youngsters escape crime and get training, have been shortlised for a £10,000 award.
The mentoring team at the Peacock Gym, in Caxton Street North, Canning Town, has been nominated in the ‘Support Stars’ category in a national award scheme run by TES magazine.
The gym’s academy, set up four years ago, offers a range of subjects including some that seem a far cry from boxing, from hair and beauty to cycle mechanics, along with a variety of sports including boxing.
Many of its 150 students combine secondary school with more vocational courses at the gym, while others leave mainstream school to study GCSE maths and English at the gym’s academy.
The mentors, who have taken part in the scheme themselves, help supports their peers in their training and education.
You may also want to watch:
The winners of the award receive £10,000 worth of multimedia equipment for their venue.
The mentors nominated are Danny Steadman, Patrick Jones, Chloe Reader, Jodie Robson and Emmily Energi
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 5 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 6 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 7 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
Former boxers Frank Bruno and George and Billy Walker trained at the gym.