Ed cycling 2,000 miles to Turkey for Beckton children’s hospice
A cyclist will ride a gruelling 2,000 mile journey to Turkey on his own in a fortnight to raise funds for a children’s hospice.
Ed Jones, 28, will race the Transcontinental London to Istanbul race next month which is Europe’s longest single stage unsupported bike event.
But Ed, who has never attempted a cycle race before, will be spurred on by the thought he is raising money for children with life-limiting illnesses at Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton.
To complete the challenge, Ed will need to cycle 150 miles a day, sleeping rough and carrying everything he needs along the route.
Ed, who lives in Lewisham, added: “I recently heard about the children’s hospice and think the work they do at Richard House - as with the work of all hospices - is hugely important to the families they work with.”
You may also want to watch:
Hannah Bosley, events and community fundraiser at Richard House, said: “Over the years and this summer in particular, people have cycled long distances to raise much-needed funds for us but I don’t think we’ve ever had anyone cycle 2,000 miles unsupported.
“We’re full of admiration for Ed and wish him every success.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
So far, Ed has raised around £250 but if you would like to contribute, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/EdJones.