Eastenders sign goes to big-hearted volunteer Asif
This piece of TV soap history has found a new home after a charitable volunteer won our Toy Appeal auction.
The Albert Square E20 sign autographed by the entire current cast of Eastenders was donated by actors Ricky Grover and Perry Fenwick to sell off with all proceeds going towards buying toys for our Christmas charity appeal.
The winner was big-hearted Asif Shakoor who works as a volunteer at the Minhaj ul Quaran International centre on Romford Road, Forest Gate, and he is also a key worker for the Newham-based charity Bridge Builders in Unity.
As he picked up the sign from Community Links’ headquarters in Canning Town, Asif said: “I am delighted to have won the autographed Eastenders street sign.
“I honestly could not have thought I would win. I was not from a privileged background to have toys in my childhood.
You may also want to watch:
“In order to see a smile on my face I would love to see smiles on the faces of children this Christmas.
“I hope this would be a beacon for others to follow and show kindness and joy during the festive season.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
“I am thankful to both Melissa York of Newham Recorder and Jackie South of Community Links.”