Eastenders sign goes to big-hearted volunteer Asif
This piece of TV soap history has found a new home after a charitable volunteer won our Toy Appeal auction.
The Albert Square E20 sign autographed by the entire current cast of Eastenders was donated by actors Ricky Grover and Perry Fenwick to sell off with all proceeds going towards buying toys for our Christmas charity appeal.
The winner was big-hearted Asif Shakoor who works as a volunteer at the Minhaj ul Quaran International centre on Romford Road, Forest Gate, and he is also a key worker for the Newham-based charity Bridge Builders in Unity.
As he picked up the sign from Community Links’ headquarters in Canning Town, Asif said: “I am delighted to have won the autographed Eastenders street sign.
“I honestly could not have thought I would win. I was not from a privileged background to have toys in my childhood.
“In order to see a smile on my face I would love to see smiles on the faces of children this Christmas.
“I hope this would be a beacon for others to follow and show kindness and joy during the festive season.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
“I am thankful to both Melissa York of Newham Recorder and Jackie South of Community Links.”