Eastenders sign goes to big-hearted volunteer Asif
This piece of TV soap history has found a new home after a charitable volunteer won our Toy Appeal auction.
The Albert Square E20 sign autographed by the entire current cast of Eastenders was donated by actors Ricky Grover and Perry Fenwick to sell off with all proceeds going towards buying toys for our Christmas charity appeal.
The winner was big-hearted Asif Shakoor who works as a volunteer at the Minhaj ul Quaran International centre on Romford Road, Forest Gate, and he is also a key worker for the Newham-based charity Bridge Builders in Unity.
As he picked up the sign from Community Links’ headquarters in Canning Town, Asif said: “I am delighted to have won the autographed Eastenders street sign.
“I honestly could not have thought I would win. I was not from a privileged background to have toys in my childhood.
“In order to see a smile on my face I would love to see smiles on the faces of children this Christmas.
“I hope this would be a beacon for others to follow and show kindness and joy during the festive season.
- 1 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 2 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 5 West Ham United 'didn't have any luck' at Forest says Moyes
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 8 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 9 Hard-working Leyton Orient 'nowhere near best' in Mansfield win says Wellens
- 10 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
“I am thankful to both Melissa York of Newham Recorder and Jackie South of Community Links.”