East Shopping Centre marks first anniversary
- Credit: Archant
One year after opening, Europe’s first purpose-built Asian shopping centre has welcomed 1.4million visitors through its doors.
East Shopping Centre, on Green Street, Upton Park, boasts a variety of clothing, jewellery and food outlets.
It has capitalised on Green Street’s status within the Asian shopping market and has provided opportunities for small local businesses alongside larger chain brands.
Bob Popat, a partner at ACR Investments, the force behind East Shopping Centre said: “East Shopping Centre has come a long way since first opening it’s doors last March.
“It’s unique in its concept and the first of its kind and we have made every effort to make it a must for South Asian shopping.
You may also want to watch:
Built on the site of a former bus garage, the one-acre site comprises 35 two-storey shop and a 17-unit souk designed to mirror a bustling marketplace.
There is also a 220-seater food court.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
Mr Popat added: “In our first year alone, we have already had approximately 1.4 million people walking through our doors.
“We’ve worked hard to position East as a shopping destination, and looking ahead, we have some exciting plans in place to cement that position and to take East to the next level and beyond.”
The shopping centre is marking its anniversary on Saturday, March 19 with an indoor street party featuring live entertainment, face painting and celebrity guests.