East London rugby players raise funds for Beckton children’s hospice
- Credit: Archant
Players from East London Rugby Club showed their caring side when they handed over £450 to a children’s hospice.
More than 40 players from the club at the Memorial Ground in Holland Road, West Ham, were inspired by St George’s Day to stage a fund-raising match in April between players representing England and others from the rest of the world representing the East London Barbarians. The game ended in an honorable 17-all draw.
All those who took part paid to play, with the money raised on the day destined for Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton. It was handed over to the hospice by East London players Rob Herbert, Fabrice Eislini and club treasurer Deborah Bird.
Fabrice said: “All of us are very proud to have been able to support such a worthy cause. Richard House is a special place and does so much to provide respite care for children and young adults with life-limiting, life-threatening and complex health needs. Many families simply would not cope without it.
“This was East London Rugby Club’s inaugural St George’s Day fund-raising challenge and we expect it to become an annual event in our match calendar.”
You may also want to watch:
Viv Talbot, community fundraising manager at the hospice, said: “The community spirit shown by East London Rugby Club is great to see. The money the players have raised will really help children and young adults and their families.”
East London Rugby Club will be holding open days on August 30 and September 6 from 1-4pm at the Memorial Ground.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 8 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500