East London clubs appeal for swimmers to raise funds for hospice
Two East London swimming clubs are appealing for athletes to take to the waters for a fundraising relay.
Newham and University of East London swimming clubs are asking people to swim a total of 2,012 lengths of the pool at East Ham Leisure Centre, in Barking Road, from 1pm on June 23.
The aim is to showcase how Newham’s swimmers are celebrating this year’s Olympic Games in the East End.
Money raised from the sponsored swim will go towards the club and East London children’s hospice, Richard House.
Richard House is London’s oldest children’s hospice. Based in Beckton, it supports almost 300 families who care for children and young people with life-limiting, life-threatening and complex healthcare needs.
You may also want to watch:
Viv Talbot, community fundraising manager at Richard House said: “It’s fantastic that Newham and UEL swimming clubs have got together to organise this Newham Swims 2012 event.
“It’s a fun way of showing their support for The Games this year while also raising money for great causes.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
“Anyone who sponsors the swimmers will be helping to secure the future of one of East London’s most important and best-loved charities. Richard House does amazing work for families across the Capital.”
For more information on the event or to take part in the Newham Swims 2012, contact Deborah Harouma on 07867 310 676 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration costs �5 per swimmer and suggested minimum sponsorship is �10.