East London clubs appeal for swimmers to raise funds for hospice
Two East London swimming clubs are appealing for athletes to take to the waters for a fundraising relay.
Newham and University of East London swimming clubs are asking people to swim a total of 2,012 lengths of the pool at East Ham Leisure Centre, in Barking Road, from 1pm on June 23.
The aim is to showcase how Newham’s swimmers are celebrating this year’s Olympic Games in the East End.
Money raised from the sponsored swim will go towards the club and East London children’s hospice, Richard House.
Richard House is London’s oldest children’s hospice. Based in Beckton, it supports almost 300 families who care for children and young people with life-limiting, life-threatening and complex healthcare needs.
Viv Talbot, community fundraising manager at Richard House said: “It’s fantastic that Newham and UEL swimming clubs have got together to organise this Newham Swims 2012 event.
“It’s a fun way of showing their support for The Games this year while also raising money for great causes.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
“Anyone who sponsors the swimmers will be helping to secure the future of one of East London’s most important and best-loved charities. Richard House does amazing work for families across the Capital.”
For more information on the event or to take part in the Newham Swims 2012, contact Deborah Harouma on 07867 310 676 or email@example.com
Registration costs �5 per swimmer and suggested minimum sponsorship is �10.