East London clubs appeal for swimmers to raise funds for hospice
Two East London swimming clubs are appealing for athletes to take to the waters for a fundraising relay.
Newham and University of East London swimming clubs are asking people to swim a total of 2,012 lengths of the pool at East Ham Leisure Centre, in Barking Road, from 1pm on June 23.
The aim is to showcase how Newham’s swimmers are celebrating this year’s Olympic Games in the East End.
Money raised from the sponsored swim will go towards the club and East London children’s hospice, Richard House.
Richard House is London’s oldest children’s hospice. Based in Beckton, it supports almost 300 families who care for children and young people with life-limiting, life-threatening and complex healthcare needs.
You may also want to watch:
Viv Talbot, community fundraising manager at Richard House said: “It’s fantastic that Newham and UEL swimming clubs have got together to organise this Newham Swims 2012 event.
“It’s a fun way of showing their support for The Games this year while also raising money for great causes.
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 7 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 8 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 9 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 10 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
“Anyone who sponsors the swimmers will be helping to secure the future of one of East London’s most important and best-loved charities. Richard House does amazing work for families across the Capital.”
For more information on the event or to take part in the Newham Swims 2012, contact Deborah Harouma on 07867 310 676 or email@example.com
Registration costs �5 per swimmer and suggested minimum sponsorship is �10.