East London clubs appeal for swimmers to raise funds for hospice
Two East London swimming clubs are appealing for athletes to take to the waters for a fundraising relay.
Newham and University of East London swimming clubs are asking people to swim a total of 2,012 lengths of the pool at East Ham Leisure Centre, in Barking Road, from 1pm on June 23.
The aim is to showcase how Newham’s swimmers are celebrating this year’s Olympic Games in the East End.
Money raised from the sponsored swim will go towards the club and East London children’s hospice, Richard House.
Richard House is London’s oldest children’s hospice. Based in Beckton, it supports almost 300 families who care for children and young people with life-limiting, life-threatening and complex healthcare needs.
Viv Talbot, community fundraising manager at Richard House said: “It’s fantastic that Newham and UEL swimming clubs have got together to organise this Newham Swims 2012 event.
“It’s a fun way of showing their support for The Games this year while also raising money for great causes.
- 1 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 2 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 5 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 8 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 9 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 10 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
“Anyone who sponsors the swimmers will be helping to secure the future of one of East London’s most important and best-loved charities. Richard House does amazing work for families across the Capital.”
For more information on the event or to take part in the Newham Swims 2012, contact Deborah Harouma on 07867 310 676 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration costs �5 per swimmer and suggested minimum sponsorship is �10.