East London charity celebrating bumper crop of toys
- Credit: Archant
East London charity ELBA is celebrating its most successful Toy Appeal yet, with over £70,000 worth of toys donated to the cause in just four weeks.
The record number was given a last minute boost with a bumper donation of 1,000 toys from staff at Barclays bank.
In total, staff from 30 City and Canary Wharf companies, including Thomson Reuters, Credit Suisse, UBS and HSBC, donated to the Appeal by hosting toy drives in their offices and purchasing in droves from online gift lists set up by local organisations in Hackney, Tower Hamlets and Newham, who work with children.
Over 6,400 toys have been donated, ranging from huge cuddly toys and educational games, to a full-size doll house. The gifts were collected and sorted by ELBA’s volunteering team, with the support of several volunteers from BT and BP.
The majority were distributed in time for Christmas parties and with the last minute donation, many more children across east London have been able to benefit from the appeal. More than 40 of ELBA’s community partners, including The Hartley Centre, a children’s club in Newham, have received toy deliveries from ELBA.
You may also want to watch:
Marie Poinsamy, Pre-School Manager, Hartley Centre, said: “I feel that the toys children get from ELBA through the Toy Appeal are the only presents the children may get. The joy they get from receiving presents and seeing others get gifts is amazing.”
Selina Uddin, ELBA team leader, said: “Thanks to the huge generosity of our corporate partners our 10th Toy Appeal has been the biggest yet. We cannot thank them enough for once again digging deep.”
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 3 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 7 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 8 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 9 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 10 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London