East London businesses launch sports festivals
New sports festivals will reach thousands of young people in run up to the London 2012 Olympic Games
One Movement, a series of free large-scale events, kicks off on Saturday at Mile End Stadium with teenagers getting a chance to try archery, basketball, judo, rock climbing, cycling and tennis among other activities.
Festival goers will also hear from up and coming urban artists, enjoy dance performances and sports showcases from East London clubs, and have the opportunity to win sold out tickets for Tinie Tempah’s show for the O2. Visitors can also sign up to local sports clubs to help build a lasting sporting legacy among young people inspired by the Olympics.
The events form part of a wider programme, called In the Parks which aims to increase sporting participation among young people living in the five Olympic Host Boroughs and to support the development of local sports clubs,
Sports clubs showcased at the events will be offered a mentor and business development workshops from ELBA, the East London business body, corporate member companies.
You may also want to watch:
ELBA will also manage the National Lottery funded programme, the planning of which has involved young people from the start,
To find out more about the events visit www.facebook.com/OneMovementEastLondon, or contact Jane Thomas on (020) 7068 6960 or email@example.com.
- 1 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 2 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 6 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
All under 16s will need to fill out a consent form with the signature of their parent or guardian and bring it with them on the day, which they can download from the Facebook page.