East Ham wannabe model aims to show ‘big is beautiful’ at contest
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Not being stick thin doesn’t mean that you can’t be beautiful, as modelling finalist Rachel James aims to prove.
As a competitor in the 2015 Model XL Plus competition, she’s well on the way to winning a modelling contract.
“I thought it would be nice to promote the more fuller figured lady,” Rachel, of Caulfield Road, East Ham, said.
“You don’t see many adverts with bigger women in them and even clothes shopping can sometimes be difficult.
“There is that pressure on women to lose weight and to be a size ten but I think I am a healthy weight for me and I want to share that with women and young girls.”
You may also want to watch:
Rachel will represent East London in August’s final after biting the bullet and putting herself forward following years of wondering what if.
“It’s something that I’ve been thinking about doing for a while,” Rachel admitted. “I saw the competition advertised and I thought why don’t I apply.”
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Currently a size 16, her weight has fluctuated greatly with her tipping the scales as a size 22 at her heaviest.
“I’ve always struggled with my weight from a young age but I’m quite happy with how I am now,” Rachel, a former Lister Community School pupil. said.
She is currently pregnant with her first child, who is due in April, but hopes to be raring to go in time for the competition which will include a homemade outfit round.