East Ham Town Hall hosts Russian Olympic athletes
Newham Town Hall in East Ham turned Russian during a visit by the country’s Olympians.
They were joined by around 200 youth club members during the event, organised by the Znaniye Russian School in Stratford.
Russian athletes talked about the dedication and discipline needed to reach the top, and what it meant to compete internationally.
A group of young Russians, flown over to promote the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, sang and danced for the guests.
A Znaniye spokesman said: “They were matched for vigour and prowess by young Russian-trained gymnasts from the London Sport Academy.
“There was also excellent Russian singing from the adult Russian Souvenir Ensemble and the youth Sunshine Choir, both from the Globus Educational and Cultural Centre in Stratford.”
The activities were supported by Newham Council’s Let Get The Party Started programme. Cllr Lakmini Shah hosted the guests on behalf of the council. They included East Ham MP Stephen Timms.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 3 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 4 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 5 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 6 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 7 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 8 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'