East Ham Town Hall hosts Russian Olympic athletes
Newham Town Hall in East Ham turned Russian during a visit by the country’s Olympians.
They were joined by around 200 youth club members during the event, organised by the Znaniye Russian School in Stratford.
Russian athletes talked about the dedication and discipline needed to reach the top, and what it meant to compete internationally.
A group of young Russians, flown over to promote the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, sang and danced for the guests.
A Znaniye spokesman said: “They were matched for vigour and prowess by young Russian-trained gymnasts from the London Sport Academy.
You may also want to watch:
“There was also excellent Russian singing from the adult Russian Souvenir Ensemble and the youth Sunshine Choir, both from the Globus Educational and Cultural Centre in Stratford.”
The activities were supported by Newham Council’s Let Get The Party Started programme. Cllr Lakmini Shah hosted the guests on behalf of the council. They included East Ham MP Stephen Timms.
- 1 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 4 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham