East Ham Town Hall hosts Russian Olympic athletes
Newham Town Hall in East Ham turned Russian during a visit by the country’s Olympians.
They were joined by around 200 youth club members during the event, organised by the Znaniye Russian School in Stratford.
Russian athletes talked about the dedication and discipline needed to reach the top, and what it meant to compete internationally.
A group of young Russians, flown over to promote the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, sang and danced for the guests.
A Znaniye spokesman said: “They were matched for vigour and prowess by young Russian-trained gymnasts from the London Sport Academy.
You may also want to watch:
“There was also excellent Russian singing from the adult Russian Souvenir Ensemble and the youth Sunshine Choir, both from the Globus Educational and Cultural Centre in Stratford.”
The activities were supported by Newham Council’s Let Get The Party Started programme. Cllr Lakmini Shah hosted the guests on behalf of the council. They included East Ham MP Stephen Timms.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan