East Ham schoolgirl’s winning design tours London by bus
A teenager from a Newham school watched her winning design on a bus travel through London in front of hundreds of thousands of people.
Sara Ahmed, 16, from Plashet School in East Ham came up with the design when she entered a competition to some up with a piece of artwork that summed up the ethos of the Jack Petchey Foundation.
She was interviewed by the BBC during the Lord Mayor’s Show at the weekend. She said: “I love this bus – I want to take it home with me.”
Sara won the Jack Petchey Foundation competition which invited young people from London and Essex, aged 11-25, to create a dynamic design which summed up its ethos. It which was judged by the Pageant Master, Dominic Reid OBE
Sara is already a JPF winner taking third place in the Grand Final of the Jack Petchey Speak Out Challenge in July.
You may also want to watch:
Her winning design, which was draped over an open double decker bus, meant she was able to walk alongside it as it travelled through the City of London in front of hundreds of thousands of people. Sara also won four fantastic tickets for the Grandstand at St Pauls for her family. Sara was also interviewed ‘live’ for BBC TV by Sonali Shah during the procession.
Over 6,000 participants spent months preparing floats for the amazement of people who line the streets of the City to watch them go by, as well as a live TV audience of millions. The parade filled the whole space between Bank and Aldwych cheered by a crowd of around half a million people and watched live on the BBC by millions more.
- 1 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 2 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 3 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 4 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 7 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital