East Ham’s Yan is designer of the year
A Newham fashion student has beaten collleagues from across Essex and east London to be named designer of the year 2011.
Zan, 20, from East Ham was among fashion designers who battled it out as their designs graced the catwalk for the title of Liberty Fashion Designer of the Year at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford. Michaela Craddock, 17, from Plaistow and Sajna Bibi, 20, from east Ham were finalists in the competition.
The design students responded to the competition brief to design an innovative key garment for Spring/ Summer 2012. 170 schools, colleges and universities were invited to take part.
Yan said: “I was so surprised when I won, I never thought that I would win. When they announced me as the winner and my model walked the catwalk again in my garment I felt excited and proud.”
Yan’s teacher Marie Loney, head of fashion at Havering College said: “I felt really proud. Yan worked really hard to present her design in a professional way and it shows how hard work gains reward. The competition is very positive as it provides an amazing opportunity and a platform to showcase local talent.”
You may also want to watch:
All the finalist’s designs were displayed in the Marks & Spencer window throughout The Liberty fashion show weekend, for auction to raise money for Essex Macmillan Cancer support charity.
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research