East Ham’s Chinese New Year celebration a roaring success
- Credit: Archant
The Chinese New Year was celebrated in style in East Ham with a day of performances at the Market Hall on Saturday.
The lion dancers performed a fifteen minute routine on the hour between 12 and 4pm before leading spectators into East Ham Market Hall where they received a small red pouch.
Michelle Fitzgibbons, the sales and marketing manager for East Ham Market, had been driving around the area in a specially decorated car in the week leading up to the event.
She said: “We must have had around 500 people turn up, a really good turn-out this year.
“All the mums and dads seemed to enjoy it as well as the kids.”
You may also want to watch:
She added that there was a lot of engagement with the performances, including one woman who tried to perform kung fu moves at the lion.
“It was hilarious,” she said. “Everyone loved it.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 8 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
The Market Hall has been hosting a celebration of Chinese New Year for four years, with attendances growing year on year.