East Ham MP Stephen Timms becomes a teacher for the day
East Ham MP Stephen Timms swapped the House of Commons for the classroom when he became a teacher for the day at a Manor Park secondary school.
Mr Timms, who is also the Shadow Minister for Employment, taught a group of Year 11 pupils at Little Ilford School on Friday to inspire them to raise their ambitions.
Accompanied by the Teach First’s Regional Director for Teach First London Tom Rose, Mr Timm’s lesson formed one part of an entire morning spent at the school.
Before lesson, he met students to talk about the importance of aiming high in education and beyond and, after the lesson, he took part in a thirty minute talk with the pupils about their future prospects.
The job swap was in aid of Teach First Week, which ran from March 12 to 16, as part of the charity’s annual effort to inspire students from poorer communities.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Timms, who was a key player in setting up Teach First in 2002, was in the company of sailing hero Dame Ellen MacArthur who taught at Kingsford Community School in Beckton.
Teach First founder and CEO Brett Wigdortz said: “It acknowledges the urgent need for us all, regardless of our day job, to play a part in eradicating educational disadvantage, and ensuring that generation of young people from low-socio economic backgrounds have the same, chances in life as their wealthier peers.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
“We hope that the outstanding commitment these guest teachers have shown continues beyond the week, and they go on inspiring young people to bellieve that no profession is beyond their grasp.”