East Ham MP hosts Kosovan charity’s anniversary
Stephen Timms hosted the tenth anniversary of a Kosovan charity at the House of Commons.
The Shpresa Programme, which is based in Newham, was founded by Luljeta Nuzi, who came to the UK from Kosovo with her family seeking asylum.
Now in its tenth year, it is a user-led organisation that promotes the participation and contribution of the Kosovan Albanian-speaking community in the UK. Since its creation, Shpresa has expanded to meet the changing needs and experiences of the Albanian community in London and further afield.
The celebration in the House of Commons was attended by the Albanian ambassador and included speeches from Shpresa trustee, Marnie Freeman; Emma Mortoo, Director of the School of Social Entrepreneurs; Mal Berisha, Charge D’affaires to the United Kingdom Albanian Embassy; Jonathan Ellis, an advisor to the Shpresa Programme; and Stephen Timms MP.
Mr Timms said: “It has been a privilege to welcome the Shpresa Programme – along with their many volunteers and supporters – to the House of Commons this evening and to celebrate their achievements over ten years. I recall their successful campaign to enable Kosovan asylum seekers to open bank accounts – a significant victory at the time. They have enabled this entire community to become part of our wider community. Now, they are working effectively towards introducing an Albanian GCSE examination for schools.
You may also want to watch:
“Shpresa’s dedicated staff and volunteers, led by the effervescent Luljeta Nuzi, will ensure the Programme is a success for many years to come.”
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 5 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 6 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 7 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation