East Ham man looking to support heart charity
- Credit: Archant
IT administrator Jason Pratt is hoping it’s going to be second time lucky.
The father-of-two is taking another shot at his goal of riding from London to Brighton after he was forced to pull out of the British Heart Foundation event in 2011 when he was diagnosed with a progressive heart condition.
The 36-year-old, of East Ham, said: “Although I had suffered from palpitations for most of my life, the diagnosis came as a complete shock, especially as I was rushed into the operating theatre the next day to have an ICD [implantable cardioverter-defibrillator] fitted.
“I really didn’t expect anything to be seriously wrong – I was young and healthy, with my whole life ahead of me.”
It all started when Jason collapsed while on a family holiday in Egypt several years ago.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “This year, I’ve signed up again and I’m more determined than ever to be on the start line.
“With the help of my friends Richard Giscombe and Paul Duxbury I have begun a training and diet regime to make sure I have every chance of being ready, let alone beating the dreaded Beacon.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 6 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
Visit justgiving.com/Jason-Pratt2016/ to donate.