East Ham Leisure Centre to close for major improvements
- Credit: Archant
East Ham Leisure Centre is to close over the Christmas and New Year break for major refurbishment.
The leisure centre, which is located on the corner of Barking Road and High Street South, will be closed from December 23 until January 5.
It is run by Active Newham is which working in partnership with Newham Council to carry out the improvements which will include state-of-the art fitness equipment, new activity areas and improved changing facilities.
The IT system at the centre is also being upgraded to make it easier for customers to book classes and activities online.
A new group cycle area will be created, kitted out with top-of the-range group exercise bikes and gym users will be able to experience the most advanced cardio-vascular equipment, such as treadmills and cross trainers that are all fully integrated for iPod/ iPad and Android.
You may also want to watch:
Ian Mitchell, Managing Director of activeNewham, said: “We are delighted to be working in partnership with Newham Council to deliver these exciting improvements to East Ham Leisure Centre, because this supports Active Newham’s commitment to helping the people of Newham to become more active.”
Councillor Ian Corbett, executive member for infrastructure and environment said: “It is great to see that Active Newham and Newham Council are investing heavily in our leisure centres to make them state-of-the-art facilities for the 21st century. We hope our residents will take advantage of the new and improved centre and the offers available to them.”
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
While the centre is closed, customers can use other Active Newham leisure services at Balaam Leisure Centre and Newham Leisure Centre.
An information desk at East Ham Leisure Centre will provide detailed information about the new equipment that will be available.
Visitors can also sign up to join a prize draw in the New Year with the chance to win three-months free membership at East Ham Leisure Centre.
For full details of Leisure Centre opening times over Christmas visit www.activeNewham.org.uk or call 0844 414 2728.