East Ham Leisure Centre to close for major improvements
- Credit: Archant
East Ham Leisure Centre is to close over the Christmas and New Year break for major refurbishment.
The leisure centre, which is located on the corner of Barking Road and High Street South, will be closed from December 23 until January 5.
It is run by Active Newham is which working in partnership with Newham Council to carry out the improvements which will include state-of-the art fitness equipment, new activity areas and improved changing facilities.
The IT system at the centre is also being upgraded to make it easier for customers to book classes and activities online.
A new group cycle area will be created, kitted out with top-of the-range group exercise bikes and gym users will be able to experience the most advanced cardio-vascular equipment, such as treadmills and cross trainers that are all fully integrated for iPod/ iPad and Android.
Ian Mitchell, Managing Director of activeNewham, said: “We are delighted to be working in partnership with Newham Council to deliver these exciting improvements to East Ham Leisure Centre, because this supports Active Newham’s commitment to helping the people of Newham to become more active.”
Councillor Ian Corbett, executive member for infrastructure and environment said: “It is great to see that Active Newham and Newham Council are investing heavily in our leisure centres to make them state-of-the-art facilities for the 21st century. We hope our residents will take advantage of the new and improved centre and the offers available to them.”
- 1 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 2 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 3 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 9 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 10 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
While the centre is closed, customers can use other Active Newham leisure services at Balaam Leisure Centre and Newham Leisure Centre.
An information desk at East Ham Leisure Centre will provide detailed information about the new equipment that will be available.
Visitors can also sign up to join a prize draw in the New Year with the chance to win three-months free membership at East Ham Leisure Centre.
For full details of Leisure Centre opening times over Christmas visit www.activeNewham.org.uk or call 0844 414 2728.