East Ham graduate wins cash for her desserts business idea
- Credit: Archant
A graduate has won £2,000 after beating more than 100 other contestants in a business start-up competition.
Beverly Banahene, a 24-year-old marketing and economics graduate from Florence Road, in East Ham won the ‘Business Start-up Challenge’ with her business Bev’s Cookie Desserts, a luxury home-baking company specialising in dessert flavoured cookies.
Flavours specialties which include Tiramisu, Banoffee Pie and Apple Crumble and products are baked using the finest ethically sourced ingredients.
She won the University of Hertfordshire’s annual business start-up competition, ‘flare’.
Beverly said: “It’s so great to have the support from the university and to know that fellow business minds have decided that my business is good.
“I feel really appreciated and have gained the confidence to take Bev’s Cookie Desserts further. The competition really helped me refine my business plan, and working with fellow entrepreneurs at the flare boot camp was fantastic because working as an entrepreneur can be lonely. I’m going to use the money for the expansion of my business, packaging and setting up my market stalls.”
After submitting a video entry and a business plan in the first two rounds, Beverly went head to head with 12 other finalists to impress the judges in a live Dragons’ Den style pitch. The £20,000 prize fund was split into seven cash prizes, with awards granted to those who impressed the judges.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack