East Ham father-of-four ‘murdered after fighting back’ during armed robbery

PUBLISHED: 11:41 10 August 2016 | UPDATED: 11:41 10 August 2016

Akhtar Javeed       Picture: West Midlands Police

Akhtar Javeed Picture: West Midlands Police

West Midlands Police

A “terribly brave” grandfather who chose to fight two armed robbers was shot in the back of the neck with a silenced pistol, a court has been told.

Businessman Akhtar Javeed, of Central Park Road, East Ham, was murdered – “pure and clear” – during a failed robbery, with a jury being told an alleged killer fled to Pakistan hours later.

Birmingham Crown Court heard yesterday that Mr Javeed’s drinks supply firm Direct Source 3 Ltd was targeted in Birmingham on February 3 by robbers assisted by an “inside man”.

James Curtis QC, for the prosecution, said the men entered the warehouse at 6.30pm with “guns already in their hands”.

He added: “They took all the members of staff prisoner at gunpoint and bound their wrists to each other with plastic cable ties.

“They made them surrender their mobile phones.”

Father-of-four Mr Javeed, he said, was ordered into the corridor so he could open a safe.

Explaining the jury would be shown CCTV showing the incident, Mr Curtis said the robbers “clearly” took Mr Javeed to the safe “on threat of death”.

“Once in the corridor, it is clear he did a very brave thing and you see him struggle, and fight back against the two gunmen, trying to make for an exit,” he said.

“Immediately the first gunman started shooting.”

Five shots were fired, he added, with “three or four” hitting Mr Javeed – including in both of his legs.

Mr Curtis added: “One shot went into the mouth and smashed his jaw – it lodged in the back of his jawbone.

“And then fatally he was shot straight in the middle of the neck, his throat, at point-blank range.

“That is murder, pure and clear.”

Suraj Mistry, 26, and Lemar Wali, 19, are on trial but both deny murder, conspiracy to rob the warehouse and two counts each of possession of a pistol with intent to cause fear or violence.

Mistry is alleged to have been one of two men armed with pistols – the other being Tahir Zarif, 25, of Osmaston Park Road, Derby, accused of fleeing to Pakistan after the killing – while Wali is said to have been a willing participant behind the wheel in a getaway car.

The court was told despite the alleged robber’s “careful planning”, they never reached the warehouse safe.

They are said to have left empty-handed in a getaway car before switching to another vehicle parked close to the site and dumping their guns in a residential area nearby.

Jurors were told they would be given evidence showing Wali driving from his home in Osmaston Park Road, Derby, the next day to recover the weapons.

They also heard Mistry, of Laundon Way in Leicester, owned and ran a bodyshop in Derby with Zarif called ATS Detailing and Wrap, with Wali an acquaintance of both men.

A fourth man and fellow ATS business partner Asif Aurangzaib, of Leacroft Road in Derby, was what the prosecution described as a back-up man, monitoring the raid from Derby.

He also denies conspiracy to rob the Birmingham warehouse.

Meanwhile, jurors have been told the “inside man” Sander van Aalten, 50, of Kyrwicks Lane, Birmingham, has already admitted conspiracy to rob the warehouse.

The trial continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder