Edson Da Costa who died after police stop in Beckton had a ‘number of packages’ in his throat

PUBLISHED: 17:06 27 June 2017

Edson Da Costa died in hospital. Picture: Submitted

Edson Da Costa died in hospital. Picture: Submitted


A father of one who died after being detained by police had a “number of packages” removed from his throat by a pathologist, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has said today.

Edir Frederico Da Costa, who was known as Edson, died in hospital following a police stop in Tollgate Road, Beckton, on June 15 after officers used force and CS gas on him.

The injuries sustained by the 25-year-old before his death and the use of police force has since been questioned by Edson’s family.

They allege the East Ham resident had his neck broken and he received head injuries.

The IPCC, which is investigating Edson’s death, this afternoon provided additional information about his injuries.

In a statement, associate commissioner Tom Milsom, said: “Following a preliminary post mortem on Thursday, 22 June, the pathologist stated that there was no fracture of the neck or spinal injury, no broken collarbone and no bleeding on the brain.

“The pathologist removed a number of packages from Mr Da Costa’s throat. The contents of those packages will undergo further analysis.

“I must stress that the pathologist has not yet identified Mr Da Costa’s cause of death and has requested further tests be conducted.

“We are examining the actions taken by police during the original detention of Mr Da Costa, including the use of force, as well as the subsequent response in administering medical assistance.”

He said that the IPCC had begun to identity witnesses through house-to-house enquiries and bodycam video from officers had also been recovered.

Mr Milsom added: “It is vital that anyone who witnessed the incident contact the IPCC at or call 0800 096 9073.

“I would like to reassure all those who have concerns about the death of Mr Da Costa that we are approaching our investigation with an open mind and working with everyone concerned to provide answers to questions that remain surrounding this incident.”

A protest on Sunday over the death of Edson resulted in six police officers being injured after it turned ugly outside Forest Gate Police Station in the evening.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder