East Ham fashion designer quits Paris to pursue passion to paint
- Credit: Archant
Artist Bernie Clarkson developed her passion for painting after spending four years in Paris working as a fashion designer.
Her passion for painting was born out of her former job role and led her to finally decide to go back and study her new-found craft.
“It was a coincidence how I got into painting, as I have always been into art but my daughter went to a new friend’s house in the first month we were in Paris and the mum happened to be a painter, so I ended up joining her art class.”
Bernie moved to East Ham two years ago to be closer to her daughter and family after completing a degree and masters at Newcastle University.
When she is not spending time painting and working in the studio, the 62-year-old, from Strone Road, East Ham, enters her art works in competitions.
Bernie said “painting is her passion” and she would love to meet up with other artists in East Ham.
“I would love someone to set up a group for artists here so we could all join up and talk or have a meeting every so often, also paint then give each other feedback,” she said.
- 1 West Ham United reveal Thames Ironworks-inspired third kit
- 2 West Ham United tie is big deal for Danes warns Reid
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 5 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 6 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 7 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 8 We want everyone to contribute says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
Most recently, she entered and won the Signature Art Prize competition. She said she was “thrilled and surprised” at the win.