East Ham fashion designer quits Paris to pursue passion to paint
- Credit: Archant
Artist Bernie Clarkson developed her passion for painting after spending four years in Paris working as a fashion designer.
Her passion for painting was born out of her former job role and led her to finally decide to go back and study her new-found craft.
“It was a coincidence how I got into painting, as I have always been into art but my daughter went to a new friend’s house in the first month we were in Paris and the mum happened to be a painter, so I ended up joining her art class.”
Bernie moved to East Ham two years ago to be closer to her daughter and family after completing a degree and masters at Newcastle University.
When she is not spending time painting and working in the studio, the 62-year-old, from Strone Road, East Ham, enters her art works in competitions.
You may also want to watch:
Bernie said “painting is her passion” and she would love to meet up with other artists in East Ham.
“I would love someone to set up a group for artists here so we could all join up and talk or have a meeting every so often, also paint then give each other feedback,” she said.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
Most recently, she entered and won the Signature Art Prize competition. She said she was “thrilled and surprised” at the win.