East Ham coffee morning for residents who want clean neighbourhood
- Credit: Archant
Residents interested in improving their environment are being urged to join like minded people for a hot drink.
The coffee morning, which will take place at 11am on January 24 at the Kitchen Table cafe at St Bartholomews in Barking Road, East Ham has been organised by CleanupUK.
Among them will be Path Prabha who began collecting litter and cleaning up the streets around his Colvin Road home some 15 weeks ago. He used to fill up 15 bags a week when the autumn leaves were falling.
Now it is four bags a week.
Mr Prabha, 57, spends two hours every Wednesday although another group has been meeting on the last Friday of each month to pick up litter.
You may also want to watch:
He says he owes part of his success to meeting CleanupUK through Archant’s streetlife social network. Mr Prabha said: “This is my area and I use it every day in my life. I was thinking, “If it was my house, I would fix it up and clean it up.””
He is keen for other people to join in with cleaning up their neighbourhoods.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 10 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
The next cleanups in East Ham will start at 10am on the following dates. The meeting point is on the corner of Lawrence Road and Colvin Road, East ham.
January 30, February 27, March 27 and April 24.
Gloves, bags, litter pickers and refreshments will be provided.
Another group, The Cyprus Litter Pickers have been clearing up outside Cyprus DLR station in Beckton since the autumn of 2011.
They are a group of residents who meet outside Cyprus DLR station on the second Wednesday of the month to pick up litter and tidy the area. Meeting at 10am. They will meet on February 13, March 13 and April 10.