East Ham Cleves School teacher plans Mongolia charity trek
It is not often that people spend their holiday time raising money for their places of work.
But that is exactly what East Ham primary school teacher James Massey, plans to do this summer.
James, who teaches year 5 pupils at Cleves School in Arragon Road, is aiming to travel from London to Central Mongolia in just a car.
Money raised through sponsorship will go to the Friends of Cleves, with a small amount donated to a prostate cancer charity.
James, who lives in Stratford, said the journey will take him up to five weeks all being well.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s always been a bit of an ambition of mine,” he said.
“It is going to be adventure but it’s going to be a challenge. It’s not like I’m going to be sitting on a beach somewhere on holiday.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
James has three different routes in mind, and will come to a firm decision depending on whether he can secure enough money to foot the �1,000 cost of a car and supplies to last him the entire journey.
The trek will consist of travelling through nine countries including Turkey, Serbia, Hungary, Uzbekistan and Russia.
James also plans to take back some of his experiences to his pupils.
He added: “[My plans] have had quite a good response so far. I’m originally from Derbyshire so my life revolved around mountain biking and hillsides.
“I’m working in a very diverse area and this is even more so.”
To sponsor James, contact 07723012572.