East Ham Cleves School teacher plans Mongolia charity trek
It is not often that people spend their holiday time raising money for their places of work.
But that is exactly what East Ham primary school teacher James Massey, plans to do this summer.
James, who teaches year 5 pupils at Cleves School in Arragon Road, is aiming to travel from London to Central Mongolia in just a car.
Money raised through sponsorship will go to the Friends of Cleves, with a small amount donated to a prostate cancer charity.
James, who lives in Stratford, said the journey will take him up to five weeks all being well.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s always been a bit of an ambition of mine,” he said.
“It is going to be adventure but it’s going to be a challenge. It’s not like I’m going to be sitting on a beach somewhere on holiday.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
James has three different routes in mind, and will come to a firm decision depending on whether he can secure enough money to foot the �1,000 cost of a car and supplies to last him the entire journey.
The trek will consist of travelling through nine countries including Turkey, Serbia, Hungary, Uzbekistan and Russia.
James also plans to take back some of his experiences to his pupils.
He added: “[My plans] have had quite a good response so far. I’m originally from Derbyshire so my life revolved around mountain biking and hillsides.
“I’m working in a very diverse area and this is even more so.”
To sponsor James, contact 07723012572.