East Ham Cleves School teacher plans Mongolia charity trek
It is not often that people spend their holiday time raising money for their places of work.
But that is exactly what East Ham primary school teacher James Massey, plans to do this summer.
James, who teaches year 5 pupils at Cleves School in Arragon Road, is aiming to travel from London to Central Mongolia in just a car.
Money raised through sponsorship will go to the Friends of Cleves, with a small amount donated to a prostate cancer charity.
James, who lives in Stratford, said the journey will take him up to five weeks all being well.
“It’s always been a bit of an ambition of mine,” he said.
“It is going to be adventure but it’s going to be a challenge. It’s not like I’m going to be sitting on a beach somewhere on holiday.”
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
- 10 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
James has three different routes in mind, and will come to a firm decision depending on whether he can secure enough money to foot the �1,000 cost of a car and supplies to last him the entire journey.
The trek will consist of travelling through nine countries including Turkey, Serbia, Hungary, Uzbekistan and Russia.
James also plans to take back some of his experiences to his pupils.
He added: “[My plans] have had quite a good response so far. I’m originally from Derbyshire so my life revolved around mountain biking and hillsides.
“I’m working in a very diverse area and this is even more so.”
To sponsor James, contact 07723012572.