East Ham chorister’s time to shine
East Ham chorister Neresa Maye’s star is on the rise after she won a recording contract on a TV singing contest to find the UK’s next big gospel talent.
Neresa sings in the choir at the New-Living International Christian Centre (NICC) on Barking Road, which is led by her husband Boomy Tokan.
The talented singer and her gospel band D-Vine won the Time2Shine contest which was broadcast on black community channel OHTV and they received the top prize of �50,000, a recording contract for an album and a single, a video and photo shoot, their own website and a live tour.
Neresa said: “For me to win the Time2Shine Gospel Talent Quest is an amazing confidence boost for me as well as a challenge to all who think that age is a barrier to success in the music industry.
“I see it as an encouragement to others to never give up on your dreams, to go for it, for indeed I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Gospel group D-Vine auditioned for the TV show in May, then made it through music camp to win the final at Westminster Central Hall on July 16.
She added: “It would mean so much to me to be able to inspire others to do what they have been called to do, and to encourage them along the way with the gift of song.”
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 3 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 8 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 9 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
Neresa had previously sung with the London Community Gospel Choir and was a backing singer for rapper Coolio and Naomi Campbell during her foray into music.