East Ham barber’s bodybuilding triumph for charity
- Credit: Archant
A barber swapped his scissors for a six pack in a bodybuilding competition to raise money for charity.
Patrick Phipps, 44, is normally found cutting hair in his barber shop, Cut Above the Rest, in Barking Road, East Ham.
But on Sunday he flexed his pecks for the Miami Pro UK Championships after pumping iron for an intense 12 weeks of training.
Patrick, who has run the barbers since he was 21, came second in the over 40s category, despite never having competed as a bodybuilder before.
“I’m ecstatic,” he said. “I wanted to do something for charity, but I wanted to do something different.”
You may also want to watch:
Patrick raised £320 for the Sickle Cell Society by collecting donations from customers and friends.
“This was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” he said.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Patrick recently went to Barcelona to cut hair for NBA basketball players, but his strict training regime meant he couldn’t enjoy the lavish spread of food on offer.
“I’ve gone from 14 stone to 12-and-a-half stone in 12 weeks. I’m down to 4 per cent body fat from 22 per cent.
“I’m in the best shape of my life.”
Patrick is now thinking of trying out for Mr Universe next year.
He said he wanted to thank his gym, Musclemania in East Ham, his family for their support and his training buddies.
For more information visit cutabovetherest.co.uk