East Ham barber’s bodybuilding triumph for charity
- Credit: Archant
A barber swapped his scissors for a six pack in a bodybuilding competition to raise money for charity.
Patrick Phipps, 44, is normally found cutting hair in his barber shop, Cut Above the Rest, in Barking Road, East Ham.
But on Sunday he flexed his pecks for the Miami Pro UK Championships after pumping iron for an intense 12 weeks of training.
Patrick, who has run the barbers since he was 21, came second in the over 40s category, despite never having competed as a bodybuilder before.
“I’m ecstatic,” he said. “I wanted to do something for charity, but I wanted to do something different.”
Patrick raised £320 for the Sickle Cell Society by collecting donations from customers and friends.
“This was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” he said.
- 1 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 2 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 3 Leyton Orient claim second successive League Two win at Crawley
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 6 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
- 7 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 8 Leyton Orient 'got away with one' at Crawley says Wellens
- 9 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 10 'Extremely hard': Mum donates Isla Caton's toys in act of kindness so 'her legacy lives on'
Patrick recently went to Barcelona to cut hair for NBA basketball players, but his strict training regime meant he couldn’t enjoy the lavish spread of food on offer.
“I’ve gone from 14 stone to 12-and-a-half stone in 12 weeks. I’m down to 4 per cent body fat from 22 per cent.
“I’m in the best shape of my life.”
Patrick is now thinking of trying out for Mr Universe next year.
He said he wanted to thank his gym, Musclemania in East Ham, his family for their support and his training buddies.
For more information visit cutabovetherest.co.uk