Driver, 21, arrested after Manor Park accident leaves boy fighting for life
A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving after a nine-year-old boy was left fighting for his life.
The driver, who has not been named, was also arrested on suspicion of failing to stop after an accident and grievous bodily harm. He was takn into custody when he gave himself up at a Newham police station accompanied by a solicitor.
Detectives from Chadwell Heath Road Death Investigation appealed for information after the boy was left fighting for his life after the collision in Woodhouse Grove, Manor Park.
Police said they were called at 7.52pm last night to reports that a silver Mazda 3 collided with the nine-year-old and another lad aged 12. The vehicle was found abandoned nearby.
The nine-year-old was taken by London Ambulance Service to hospital suffering from head injuries. He is currently in a critical condition. His 12-year-old brother received minor injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Neighbours reported hearing a loud bang just before the accident. People in the nearby Plashet Park rushed to help the two boys who are believed to live in Shelley Avenue, just yards from where the incident occurred.
A police spokesman confirmed that a 21-year-old man, accompanied by a solicitor, had surrendered himself to police.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover