Doctor Who fans to flock to Newham’s ExCel centre for sell-out 50th celebration
- Credit: PA
Not even a sonic screwdriver could get you into the Doctor Who 50th anniversary celebration at the ExCeL centre as tickets have completely sold out.
The exhibition, due to take place this coming weekend, will see thousands of the Doctor’s biggest fans descend on the former Olympic venue to bear witness to all manner of unearthly things.
Organisers may be wishing they could use Tardis technology to make the centre bigger on the inside as the three-day celebration promises to cram in everything from Doctor’s past and present to a how-to from the special effects department.
A spokeswoman for the ExCel centre said: “We are looking forward to hosting such a landmark event for Doctor Who.
“For those who have managed to get tickets they will be part of the ultimate Doctor Who celebrations that will enable them to relive the 50years of adventures that the Time Lord and his adversaries have been through, meet the stars and get exclusive behind the scenes information from the crew that have worked on the show.”
You may also want to watch:
It is half a century since the first Doctor, William Hartnell, appeared on our flickering, black and white television screens in 1963 and he has gone through 10 regenerations to come to the bow-tied present day Doctor, Matt Smith.
Fans, or Whovians as they are known, will have the chance to meet with stars from five decades of the show and gleam behind-the-scenes information from the production and stunt teams.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
Visit celebration.doctorwho.tv for more information.