Do you support air strikes against Islamic State in Syria?
- Credit: PA WIRE
In light of mass killings in Paris, Sousse, Beirut and elsewhere by agents of so-called Islamic State, David Cameron told Parliament yesterday that he wanted British forces to take action in Syria to “make us safer”.
“That bomb in Paris, that could have been London,” the prime minister said in reference to the November 13 terrorist attacks in which 130 people were murdered in France’s capital city. “If they had their way, it would be London.”
Mr Cameron said he intends to hold a Commons vote on whether the UK should begin air strikes against IS in Syria as early as next week, depending on whether he can win the support of the house including the Labour opposition.
His argument is that IS – whose claim Raqqa in Syria as their main base of operations – “poses a threat” to British people and that air strikes will “help make us safer”.
The leader of the Labour Party, meanwhile, wrote in a letter that he cannot support the action.
You may also want to watch:
“Our first priority must be the security of Britain and the safety of the British people,” Jeremy Corbyn explained. “The issue now is whether what the PM is proposing strengthens, or undermines, our national security.
“I do not believe that the PM today made a convincing case that extending UK bombing to Syria would meet that crucial test.”
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 8 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
Do you support Mr Cameron’s bid to strike Islamic State in Syria? Will it make us safer? Vote in our poll, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0208 477 3778.