Do something positive for Newham this World Aids Day
Get your running shoes on and sprint towards a better life for HIV sufferers in a 5K sponsored run on World Aids Day.
Positive East, a charity tailored to helping east Londoners diagnose and treat HIV, are holding their third annual 5K Fun Run on Sunday November 5 in Victoria Park.
Last year, the event raised over �15,000 for local projects and Stratford-born sprinter Christine Ohuruogu is a firm supporter.
Christine said: “We’ve seen some amazing spirit in east London this year, and the 5K Red Run is a fitting continuation of that.
“To have hundreds of people, on our doorstep, coming together to make some noise about HIV awareness at World AIDS Day is just wonderful.
You may also want to watch:
“The work of Positive East, and in particular their HIV testing project, has never been more important to our community, and I know how important the 5K Red Run is to the charity in continuing this.”
Money raised from run will raise funds to support Positive East’s projects in the community including the free HIV testing site in Newham that reaches out to over 9,000 people in the capital who are unaware they are HIV positive to help them lead full and healthy lives in a safe and confidential way.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 4 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 9 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
Andrew Smith, Positive East’s HIV testing coordinator, said: “The Newham HIV testing projext is really important to the charity; it is right in the centre of the communities we work with.
“Our ambition is for knowing your HIV status to become as routine as a visist to the opticians or the dentist.
“In order for us to continue runing projects, like the HIV testing site in Newham, it is essential that we maintain a regular presence in the community.”
To sign up to the Positive East 5K Red Run, visit www.5KRedRun.co.uk.