Discover Newham with new app from London24
Today is the launch of our new smartphone application MyCityWay London24 - so I embarked on a day around Stratford to try it out.
The free app differs from internet search tools by using your smartphone’s location tools to find exactly where you are and the nearest services to you, in seconds.
London24’s smart app technology knows there is no point showing you where the petrol stations in East Ham are if your phone is in Stratford.
When you tap an icon on the screen, whether it be for Nightlife, Traffic Cameras, or Eateries, it will show you the nearest one to you, complete with its address, a map, and a picture of the business so it’s easy to recognise.
Not wanting to begin the fun on an empty stomach, I tapped on Coffee to see where I could get breakfast and it instantly presented a number of options within a mile from my house. I decided to walk along The Broadway and down West Ham Lane to visit Cafe Lympic, recently made famous on Have I Got News For You, and my paper, the Newham Recorder.
You may also want to watch:
Next, a spot of shopping but I needed some cash to splash before I went - time to tap on Banks & ATMs and I was pointed back on to The Broadway to Natwest where I found a cash machine.
The Stratford Centre was my shopping spot of choice and, though it was only over the road, the app’s map was still useful for navigating the one-way system and construction works.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
Halfway through my shopping trip, I was happily interrupted by a friend. about to embark on a Stratford adventure of her own. texting me to find out where she could park her car. In less than a minute, Parking told me the location and opening hours of The Grove car park nearby and I persuaded her to join me for a jerk burger and The Best of Newham comedy night in the Stratford Theatre Royal’s bar in Gerry Raffles Square.
To find out more about the app, see tomorrow’s Recorder and, to download our new app for free, search for MyCityWay London24 in the iTunes Store.