Discount ticket boosts Stansted Express user numbers
- Credit: Archant
The number of passengers using Abellio Greater Anglia has risen after the launch of a discount ticket to Stansted Airport.
The launch of Stansted Express’s dedicated ticket has led to a four-fold increase in travellers after being introduced last summer.
Then, about 300 passenger journeys were made every four weeks.
Now, about 1,300 journeys are made during the same period.
The success is the second boost in two years and follows another increase in passenger numbers in 2014, when figures rose by 21 per cent from 2013 as more than six million commuters travelled with Abellio.
The dedicated ticket lets passengers travel from Stratford rail station to Stansted Airport via Tottenham Hale for £7.50 – but only if bought 30 days or more in advance at stanstedexpress.com
Users can also travel for £11 if they book seven or more days in advance.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
But Abellio Greater Anglia, which operates 1,900 train services every day, claims that the success is not just down to the discount ticket.
It attributes the boost in part to its frequent service and said trains every 15 minutes combined with extras like free wi-fi and charge points have also contributed to the popularity of the Stansted Express.